The Emergency Room

Sometimes my migraines get really bad. I know they’re bad because I start screaming and sobbing and trying to convince Ben that it would be a good idea for me to run into a wall, full speed, with my head.

In mid-January, I realized I had a horrible, nothing-will-fix-this migraine. At 9pm. Urgent care had closed, so I decided that I would just give myself an imitrex shot. 99% of the time, the imitrex shot makes me pass out. I have to inject myself while lying in bed. I need to have water next to me and I need to have gone to the bathroom. I cannot walk, I have a hard time talking, and breathing is difficult. Except this time. This was the 1%. The imitrex shot did nothing. 45 minutes later and the pain was worse and I was still awake. Usually I have narcotics for times like this. But I was out.

So after sobbing and having Ben distract me by telling me about his new motherboard and graphics card, I decided I had to go to the ER. Last time I’d gone was over 15 months earlier. I had spent over 3 hours waiting and then another 3+ hours being treated.

We went to the same ER. I was worried because it was sleeting and I figured there would be lots of car crashes. But we got there and were taken back within 45 minutes. Within 15 minutes after that I’d seen a nurse AND the doctor. The doctor listened carefully to my request (PLEASE DON’T GIVE ME Benedryl and Compazine in the IV. They give me the creepy crawlies). Then he ordered three drugs (including not compazine) and wanted to try putting me on high-flow oxygen. He’d read about this treatment recently and it wasn’t a hardship for me, so I didn’t complain.

The nurse tried to put in my IV and failed. Twice. So she called a tech, and the doctor asked her to start my oxygen ASAP before the IV went in. Then the doc came into check on me about every 10-15 minutes. Usually the doc gives orders and doesn’t appear again until well after the bag of saline has flowed into my veins. At one of the checks, I mentioned I needed to go to the bathroom and he had someone help me and also asked about my pain. Since it had drastically reduced, he said he’d discharge me. Immediately. Even though I was only 1/3 of the way through the saline drip.

I rejoiced. Door to door the trip took under 2.5 hours. And I could sleep afterwards. Three cheers for Dr. Robert B. Jones of Southdale ER! Thanks for making the usually unpleasant experience so much nicer.

4 Responses to The Emergency Room

  1. Katie says:

    Well, I’m glad that ended well, but wow, it sounds awful 🙁

    What’s the deal with the nurse not getting the IV in twice? That’s odd, right? Or do you have difficult veins?

    • Katie says:

      Pretty sure I have the worst veins known to man. You can always see them, but not always feel them. They can often get a needle in, but can’t make it “take”. So basically I have a needle, but the meds won’t go in because it isn’t working :/

  2. hronnsa says:

    three cheers for the good doctor Jones. this, even knowing you are fine now, sounds terrifying. many many hugs.

    • Katie says:

      The three cheers line made me smile as it was EXACTLY how I felt! Thanks for the hugs. I can’t wait to see you in person!

Leave a Reply to Katie Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *