Engagement

Most of you know by now that Ben and I are engaged. But most of you haven’t heard the story. I won’t say much, but I thought it would be good to show my four rings.

We got engaged on a walk by the lake with an insanely cold wind. Apparently, we were supposed to go on the walk a few nights earlier, when it was clear and warm, but I was stubborn and didn’t go. So it was cold and windy.

Ben proposed using a ring that I’d bought for $10 at Claire’s a few years ago. I bought it in order to have a ring when I went out dancing or traveling. Basically then I could pretend I was engaged and ward off loser dudes. My hand looks weird in this picture. Basically it was a ginormous fake diamond surrounded by little diamonds.

The next night we were watching a movie. Ben took a Lindt Dark Chocolate Truffle and peeled the tin foil off of the plastic. Then he made me another ring from the truffle wrapper.

During this time, we were looking at rings online, but had trouble finding things we liked. Then I saw Ben at his desk with a hot glue gun. He was making a ring out of a paper clip, blue bead, fishing line, and hot glue. When this picture was taken the fishing line had broken and the hot glue was peeling.

Then we went to our local jeweler and found out that you can color diamonds with magic markers. At the jewelers, since we were looking at sapphires, the lady whipped out a blue sharpie and started coloring diamonds. This was a radical notion to us. My Claire’s ring, it turns out, was much more palatable as a “sapphire.” But I didn’t take pictures of that. Every few days it needed touching up, so one day we just made it an emerald.

But none of these rings were supposed to beΒ permanent. And, as much as I liked the rings from Knox Jewelers, I couldn’t see paying that much for a ring. And it seemed like even half that much (for a compromise ring) wasn’t that great an idea. So we got creative. Ben was sad that my finger wan’t size 5. There were size 5 rings on sale at Sears for $20. But alas, my finger was bigger than that.

Then we went to Etsy. Ah, etsy! Etsy had a perfect ring. Perfect size, perfect stone, perfect price (and sparkly!!). Yay for CavalierCreations!

And so that is the ring that I wear every day.

The end.

14 Responses to Engagement

1. Reid says:

That rock is not nearly large enough. I’m not sure he loves you.

2. Joanna says:

Sharpies are awesome!
    that’s a lovely color.

3. Ally Zabet says:

It’s beautiful! It’s blue, I knew it would be blue πŸ˜‰

• Katie says:

I have a surprising amount of non-blue things now, Ally. Today I have on a gray sweatshirt, teal hat, and teal scarves. My backpack is orange (yes, orange) and my wallet is pink. I have a black and white purse. Granted my coat, scarf, short, jeans, and boots are all blue πŸ™‚

4. Katie says:

I like all your rings, but the last one is definitely the best πŸ™‚

Also, you can color diamonds? What? Madness!!

• Katie says:

It’s also the sturdiest. The foil ring was super weak and the Claire’s run was turning orange (while turning my finger green).

And yes, sharpies are magic.

5. Esra says:

Congratulations to you both! I somehow found your blog and spent a good 40 minutes or so reading… Funny -or sad?- how one learns about a person more from blogs than all that time spent at the same place… By the way, if you visit Ankara you will be on the Asian contient, and that’s one down on the 30before30 list πŸ˜‰

• Katie says:

Sorry I didn’t see your comment for so long! It’s good to hear from you. Perhaps I should come visit Ankara before I turn 30, I’m guessing there are good adventures to be had in the area! (Although I seem to be able to make my own adventures quite easily.)

6. Kelly says:

OUR RINGS! I can’t believe you didn’t keep the fake one as your real one. We paid so much for those classy things. πŸ™‚ Congrats you two. πŸ˜›

• Katie says:

While I didn’t keep the fake one as my real one, I still have it. Although it is mostly white, there are chunks of sharpied blue on it as well. And didn’t you pay for both of them? I think it was a buy-one-get-one-free deal. Cause we’re just classy like that.

Also, just so you know, Morten and I decided today that your moving killed sushi night. We haven’t had one since you left.